Intensive Advanced 2

Friday, May 19, 2017

Advanced 2. Video: Binge Eating

Listen and fill in the blanks with 1-4 words. Answers must be based on the information in the video. Click here. Select to see the answers.

Questions:
1.-  What ‘symptom’ is associated to compulsive overeating?
Answer: Uncontrollable cravings for food
2. - The speaker thought there was something wrong with her because she felt...
Answer:  Bloated / overweight / ashamed
3.-    How did she feel afterwards?
Answer:    Horrible
4.-The ABC model helped her______ behind compulsive eating.
Answer:    Break down the processes
5.-What triggered her disorder?
a.    Feeling down about herself
b.    _____________________
Answer:    Lacking confidence
6.- The chemicals she ate gave her...
Answer:   Momentary relief
7.- After eating and putting on weight, how did she feel?
Answer:    More isolated and helpless
8.- The feeling that food did not control her was ...
Answer:    Empowering
9.- Now she has lost weight as a result of putting an end to her...
Answer:    binges




Transcript:

I’ve always struggled with compulsive overeating. It started when I was a teenager and worsened in early adulthood. I just had these uncontrollable cravings for food. Unhealthy foods like hamburgers and French fries and soda drinks. I would eat until I was so full that I was on the verge of vomiting. It was disgusting. It made me feel like there was something seriously wrong with me. I was bloated and overweight. I felt so ashamed; yet I continued to do it. I was simply out of control when it came to food. Diet and exercise plans didn’t help, and I just couldn’t understand why I kept doing something that made me feel so horrible afterwards. It was through self-reflection and delving into my past that made me understand why overeating was such a problem for me. The ABC model really helped me break down the processes behind my overeating. ABC, that stands for ‘antecedents’, ‘behaviour’ and ‘consequences’. It helped me identify what was happening immediately before the overeating, what I liked about food and then how I was feeling as a consequence.
Through this exercise I realized that one major trigger for my binges was feeling down about myself and lacking confidence. I had momentary relief from the feel good chemicals in the fatty foods that I ate, but soon after I just felt more down and disgusted with myself.
I also ate when I felt lonely or upset to comfort myself. But ironically eating and gaining further weight made me even more isolated and helpless. It was a closed circle with no way out.
Having identified my triggers, having strategies to support me dealing with those unpleasant emotions, and guided exercises to work through my baggage has enabled me to catch the triggers early enough. Then I had the choice to do something healthy or to binge eat. As time passed and I started feeling better about myself and my life, I always chose to do something healthy. It was so empowering to no longer feel like food controlled me. Instead, I was in control, and I could make choices about the way I treated my body. I feel amazing now. I feel so much more confident about myself and my body. I’ve lost weight as a result of stopping my binges. No diets needed, it was all thanks to ‘How To Stop Overeating” by desinglifecoach.com, which guided me through the process of uncovering my inner struggles and giving me the power to overcome them. I recommend this transformative workbook to anyone struggling with excess weight and overeating.

No comments :

Post a Comment